Good Housekeeping Ultimate Soup Diet Shopping List
How to Lose 15-20 Pounds by Eating Soup
Rating: 5 / 5 ( 270773)
Weight Loss Soups
7-Day Soup Diet
The original 7-day soup diet is said to have originated in a Toronto hospital but there is no evidence that this is true. For seven days you have the soup daily for dinner and can also eat it liberally throughout the day. There are many versions of the vegetable soup from which to choose.
Follow this strict schedule while on the soup diet.
- Day 1: Soup plus fruits but no bananas
- Day 2: Soup plus lots of vegetables but no beans peas or corn; no bananas; can add baked potato at dinner
- Day 3: Soup plus fruits but no bananas; vegetables but no potato; eat all the fruits and veggies you want.
- Day 4: Soup plus up to three bananas; as many glasses of skim milk as you want
- Day 5: Soup plus 10-20 ounces of beef or lamb and six tomatoes; eat the soup at least once and drink lots of water
- Day 6: Soup plus beef or lamb and vegetables; eat all the beef and vegetables you want but no baked potato; eat soup at least once
- Day 7: Soup plus brown rice, unsweetened fruits and vegetables, as much as you want; eat soup at least twice today
Popular 7-Day Soup Plans
There is not one definitive 7-day soup plan. Review several options to decide which one appeals to you the most, keeping in mind that you're more likely to stick with the diet for the full seven days if you're eating flavors you like.
- Food.com: The soup in this recipe contains a mix of four vegetables and five spices in a tomato base.
- Good Housekeeping: This soup has more vegetables and fewer spices than the Food.com version.
- Marie Claire Cabbage Soup Diet uses a cabbage soup as the basis of a 7 day soup diet plan. This soup has fewer vegetables but you get to choose your spices.
- Weight Loss Magic Soup Diet is a heartier soup because it contains more vegetables. Italian seasoning also jazzes up the flavor.
- Slimming Solutions Soup has fewer vegetables than the Weight Loss Magic Soup but it adds several herbs and hot pepper to spice it up.
- The GM Soup Diet is said to have been developed at General Motors (GM), though there is no proof of this. There is even an Indian and a Vegetarian version of the GM diet.
LoveToKnow 7-Day Diet Plan
The LoveToKnow (LTK) Basic Soup contains a filling combination of vegetables, including the nutrient-dense mushrooms and kidney beans. Though the kidney beans add carbs, as a legume it also counts as a protein. The mushrooms also add protein and a meaty texture.
The variety of spices saves the soup from the blandness of the original basic version.
6 cups water; 1 bottle (32 oz. ) V8® Vegetable Juice; 3 cans (15 oz. each) low sodium chicken broth; 2 cans (28 oz. each) diced or crushed tomatoes with juice, or 10 plum tomatoes, crushed and juice saved
1 tsp dried oregano, 1 sprig thyme chopped
- Wash and prepare the vegetables: Cut carrots in small wedges or slices; cut green beans in thirds; thinly slice the mushrooms and cabbage; chop the onions and thinly slice the green onions, keeping the white stalk and the green slices separate; if using plum tomatoes, chop and crush them and preserve the juice.
- Saute: Spray the bottom of a 12 quart stockpot or Dutch pot with non-stick oil spray. Over medium heat, saute onions, white stalks and half the green parts of the green onion, and the garlic, carrots, mushrooms and celery for 8-10 minutes until onions are translucent. Alternatively, use 1-3 teaspoons of olive oil for the saute (your preference).
- Add the rest: Throw in the diced/crushed tomatoes and juice, the green beans, cabbage, broth, water, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and the sprig of thyme.
- Simmer: Stir the pot well and cover and simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Almost done: When carrots are almost tender, stir in spinach and the rest of green onion leaves for that last burst of flavor, and simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir.
You can add more of the spices to suit your taste.
This makes 48 cups and a serving size is two cups, which is about 90 calories based on calculations from the United States Department of Agriculture National Nutrients Database.
You can vary the basic soup by adding three to four ounces of protein per serving. Just before serving, take two cups of the LTK Basic Soup and add the following:
- Cut chicken beef or lamb in bite sized portions and saute in a skillet in one teaspoon of olive oil on medium heat. Turn heat to low, add a 1/4 cup of water and a pinch of salt and black pepper and cover. Simmer for about 10 to 20 minutes until meat is cooked and add it to the heated vegetable soup.
- For shrimp or fish (cut fish in one inch portions) saute in a small amount of olive oil for two or three minutes until opaque.
Additional calories per two cups of soup variation (3-4 oz. added protein):
Daily Meal Plan
You can use the LTK soup to support a healthy weight loss plan of about 1200-1300 calories a day. Avoid staying on a low calorie diet for an extended time and speak with your doctor first. Add exercise to boost your weight loss and help you maintain the loss after your diet ends.
- 250-300 Calorie Breakfast: Start each day with a healthy breakfast that is high in protein.
- 300 Calorie Lunch: One to two cups of the LTK Basic Soup plus a sandwich or salad
- 500 Calorie Dinner: One to two cups of LTK Basic Soup plus 3-4 oz. of a protein (example: beef, lamb, fish) plus one to two servings of complex carbs and a mixed salad; or a soup variation plus one to two carb servings and a mixed salad
- 50-100 Calorie Snacks: Enjoy a midmorning and afternoon 50-100 calorie healthy snack, for example:, a serving of fruit or non-starchy vegetables such as carrots or celery, or a cup or two of LTK Basic Soup (45-90 calories).
- Drinks: Drink at least eight glasses of water or unsweetened drinks, including coffee or tea.
A Temporary Diet
Eating soup filled with healthy vegetables every day is a great addition to a healthy reduced-calorie diet plan. However, if you don't supplement it with protein or additional essential nutrients, you will not fulfill your daily nutrients and calorie needs.
As with any low calorie diet plan, be sure to talk with your doctor before starting.
The Ultimate Guide to Mediterranean Diet with Meal Plans and Shopping List
The Mediterranean Diet (MD) is based on the traditional foods eaten in the countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea. What’s so special about this one?
Click Here to Download 2018 Mediterranean Diet PDF
Well, for starters, people living in this region tend to be incredibly healthy, and those who follow the traditional meals and lifestyle are usually having a healthy weight regardless of how much exercise they get.
In this guide, we’ll discuss how this “lifestyle” works and also provide you with some great resources for meal plans, apps, recipes, and cookbooks. To understand what types of foods you should be eating, you first need to know the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid.
The Way Mediterranean Diet Pyramid Work
Click Here to Download 2018 Printable Mediterranean Diet Pyramid
The pyramid is broken down into daily, weekly and monthly foods. People living in the Mediterranean area tend to eat a generous amount of fresh vegetables, whole grains, vegetarian proteins, olive oil, and nuts.
They eat red meat and wine in moderation along with sweets and cheese. Let’s take a closer look at individual categories of this pyramid.
Your daily menu should consist of these items:
- 4-8 servings of non-starchy vegetables. These are almost all you can think of except potatoes, winter squash, peas, and corn.
- 2-4 servings of fruit.
- 4-6 servings of starchy vegetables and whole grains.
- 1-3 servings of nuts and legumes.
- 4-6 servings of healthy fat, such as olive oil.
Your weekly menu should consist of these items:
- 2-3 servings of fish.
- 1-3 servings of poultry, if desired.
- 1-3 servings of dairy. Typically, low-fat dairy is preferred. This includes light yogurt or low-fat cheeses.
Your monthly menu should consist of these items:
- Red meats, such as beef, veal, and lamb, are only eaten three to four times per month.
- Sweets are also limited this way.
Pay attention: Each day, you need to drink a lot of water and no more than two drinks of alcohol for men and one drink for women.
It’s easy to see why this diet is so good for your organism. It is rich in vegetables, beans, whole grains, and healthy fats. Red meats, cheese, and sweets are eaten in moderation, which helps you maintain a proper weight while also improving the condition of your heart.
2 Best Mediterranean Meal Plans
#1 – 1 Week Mediterranean Diet Meal Plan
This site offers great Mediterranean meal schedules with four weeks’ worth of menus. You’ll dine on typical delicious dishes like:
There are many easy meal options here, and many of the plans allow for leftovers to be eaten later in the week.
Pay attention: This is a great option for those who are on the go or don’t really have time to cook three times per day, every day.
Just have a look at a free menu at GoodHousekeeping.com
#2 – IntermountainHeartCenter.com
This is an entire diet system complete with meal schedules and food lists. On this menu, you’ll find stuff like lentil soup, lamb chops, honey yogurt, greek salad, and salmon.
All these meals are easy to prepare and taste great too. Everything is laid out for you with this system, so if weight loss is your goal, this is a fantastic option.
Pay attention: All this is packed in amazing free 56 pages long pdf file that is available for download at IntermountainHeartCenter.com.
For more meal plans, check out:
The 21-Day Plan to Eating the Mediterranean Way
28 Day Mediterranean Diet Plan
WLR’s 7-Day Mediterranean Diet Plan
2 Best Shopping Lists for Mediterranean Diet
#1 – DoctorOz.com – Mediterranean Diet Shopping List
Click Here to Download 2018 Mediterranean Diet Shopping List
Dr. Oz offers a convenient shopping list that includes all of the staples in the Mediterranean Diet. All items are conveniently grouped together in categories according to where they are in the store.
This makes it very easy to get and buy all the required food for your meals, so you have all of the pantry staples in your kitchen.
Pay attention: The only thing I was disappointed about was the fact that there were no fresh fruits or vegetables on there; only canned and frozen. However, it is still practical, and you can find it on DoctorOz.com website.
#2 – OldWaysPT.org – Mediterranean Diet Grocery List
Click Here to Download 2018 Mediterranean Diet Shopping List
The second shopping list comes from OldWaysPT.org website. This one corresponds to their diet, and you’ll find plenty of awesome recipes on their website as well.
Keep in mind: The food on this list is categorized into basic categories such as vegetables, beans, nuts and seeds, healthy oils and fat, grains, seafood, dairy/eggs, herbs and spices, and fruits.
Best Recipes for Mediterranean Diet
#1 – Health.com – 22 Mediterranean Diet Recipes
Pizza can be healthy, and this unique version published by the excellent website called Health.com is the proof. With toppings like goat cheese, crushed red pepper, tomatoes, olives, artichokes and fresh basil, this one is more flavorful than anything you’ll get from a pizza delivery chain.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 (12-inch) prepared pizza crust
- 1/4 Teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning
- 1 Cup (4oz) of crumbled goat cheese
- 3 Sliced plum tomatoes (1/4-inch-thick slices)
- 6 Chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 (14-oz) can of quartered artichoke hearts
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 Cup of chopped fresh basil / 4 teaspoons of dried basil
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Sprinkle pizza crust with crushed red pepper and dried Italian seasonings.
- Sprinkle goat cheese evenly on the crust leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Arrange tomato slices, chopped olives, and artichoke hearts.
- Place the pizza on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and bake for 10-12 minutes until the crust is crisp and the cheese is bubbly.
- Sprinkle the chopped basil over the top and serve hot.
It’s so easy to make, especially if you use a prepared crust. If you’re feeling brave, you can try your hand at making your own homemade pizza crust. It is a lot easier than you may think.
Click Here to read more recipes on Health.com
#2 – Epicurious.com – Mediterranean Diet Recipes
Another great online source of tasty Mediterranean diet recipes is a website called Epicurious.com, and my favorite one includes shrimp that is paired with tangy Tzatziki sauce, creamy feta, and healthy spinach.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 Cup of Greek-style (2% or nonfat) yogurt
- 1 Cup of 1/4-inch cubes of English hothouse cucumber
- 3 Tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice plus additional for drizzling
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped shallots
- 1 1/4 Teaspoons of finely crushed and divided aniseed
- Olive oil (for brushing and drizzling)
- 1 Pound of uncooked large shrimp (peeled, deveined, and tails left intact)
- 8 Cups of baby spinach leaves
- 3/4 Cup of crumbled feta cheese
- Mix yogurt with cucumber, dill, lemon juice, shallots, and 3/4 teaspoon of crushed aniseeds in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper generously and place it in the fridge to chill.
- Prepare your barbecue (medium-high heat) and brush grill with oil.
- Thread shrimps onto four metal skewers.
- Brush shrimp skewers all over with olive oil, sprinkle salt, pepper, and remaining crushed aniseed.
- Grill until shrimps are opaque in center (about 3 minutes from each side).
- Place spinach on your plates and drizzle lightly with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Place shrimp skewers on the top and spoon tzatziki over shrimp.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve.
Preparing the Tzatziki sauce is quick and simple, especially if you use Greek yogurt. This dish makes for a great, light lunch or excellent side dish.
Click Here to read more recipes on Epicurious.com
#3 – FoodNetwork.com – Mediterranean Diet Recipes
the third online source of excellent recipes for this particular type of diet is called FoodNetwork.com, and my most favorite recipe is “Grilled lamb chops with mint.”
Lamb is a traditional meat in this type of region, so this recipe is fitting. When paired with mint, this dish takes on a refreshing flavor.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1/3 Cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Cup of packed fresh mint leaves + more for sprinkling (chopped)
- 1/4 Teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- 12 Small rib lamb chops (about 2 1/3 pounds)
- 2 Cloves of garlic (smashed)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Mix the olive oil, mint, red pepper flakes, and salt in a bowl.
- Rub the lamb chops all over with crushed garlic.
- Transfer few tablespoons of the mint oil to small bowl and brush it on chops.
- Grill the chops until charred (3 – 4 minutes for each side).
- Transfer to a platter and brush with the rest of your mint oil.
- Sprinkle with mint and serve with more mint oil.
If you cannot grill your chops, you can broil them in your oven. This healthy, flavorful meal takes just 20 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook. Pair with a side salad for a complete Mediterranean menu.
Click Here to read more recipes on FoodNetwork.com
2 Helpful Applications
#1 – Mediterranean Diet (Powered by Zestar)
This application for iOS provides customized eating recommendations and gives you recipes to help keep your eating fun and exciting. The app uses your own personal profile to adapt the guidelines to create recommendations.
Except this, it comes with various other features:
- Limits on how much you should be eating for meals and your snacks.
- Ability to plan your menu for an entire week and even create a convenient grocery list.
- If you want to eat out, it can assist you to find great healthy menu choices from hundreds of chain restaurants.
#2 – Mediterranean Diet Plan
This is an Android application that can help you make shopping lists and meals all from a sleek and intuitive interface. This one will allow you to create an entire menu for seven days’ worth of food
It includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and even snacks.
Best Cookbooks to Gather Inspiration
#1 – Mediterranean Diet Cookbook by Stacy Michaels
Stacy Michaels is an expert on wellness, culinary nutrition and also works as a nutrition consultant. In this cookbook, she shares dozens of meal ideas and also explains exactly how the diet works.
You’ll find delicious recipes like:
- Almond-crusted chicken
- Cioppino with cod
- Figs with Balsamic vinegar
- Sea scallops with spinach and pistachios
- Portuguese bean soup with sweet potatoes
- Sicilian-style strata
Pay attention: This is a great source for anyone looking for authentic menus.
Click Here to read user reviews on Amazon.com
#2 – Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Dummies by Meri Raffetto
Just like all of the other books in the “Dummies” collection, this title explains exactly what the diet is all about, why it’s healthy and includes more than 150 recipes. This is really more of a guide on how to live this lifestyle than just a book with meals.
However, you will still find plenty of delicious stuff like:
Pay attention: This is a must-have book for anyone who is just getting started with this diet.
Good Housekeeping the Amazing Soup Diet
Eat as much as you want . . . and lose 20 pounds fast!
Bonus: The meals are hearty, delicious—and ready in 20 minutes!
You won't believe it's a diet! Lose weight while dining deliciously on bowl after bowl of rich, varied, stew—like soups-from sausage- and rice-filled jambalaya to cheese-laced minestrone with pasta and beans. Good Housekeeping makes it so easy: even though each soup tastes totally different from the next, they are all built from the same basic recipe.
Just start with the Hearty Vegetable Soup recipe and add a few ingredients each night to create a wonderful new main course. And to make things even simpler, there's an entire meal plan with an appetizing variety of breakfasts and lunches, along with a full range of dinners. Soup is at the heart of these menus, which feature recipe variations from star chefs, including Emeril Lagasse, Lidia Bastianich, Michael Chiarello, Ming Tsai, Dean Fearing, Madhur Jaffrey, and Don Pintabona. In addition, there's advice on storing the soup and dining out, plus a complete shopping list.
As always, all these recipes were triple-tested for success in Good Housekeeping's renowned test kitchens.
Soup's on! Here are just a few delicious soups to try:
- Hearty Vegetable-only 45 calories a cup!
- Greek Fish Stew
- Emeril Lagasse's Creole Super Soup
- Lidia Bastianich's Mussel Super Soup and Lentil—and her Rice Super Soup
- Michael Chiarello's Napa-Style Minestrone Super Soup
- Ming Tsai's Hot-and-Sour Super Soup
- Dean Fearing's Southwestern Super Soup
- Madhur Jaffrey's Far Eastern Super Soup
- Don Pintabona's Italian Super Soup—and his Oriental Super Soup
04.05.2017 7:55 pm Updated by Admin
Fat Burning Soups For Weight Loss. A simple 3-step plan to lose weight fast, along with numerous effective weight loss tips. If only losing weight was as easy as gaining it, right? While there are plenty of advertised ways to shed some pounds, there are only a handful of methods that actually work.
|The message text*:|