Vegetarian Weight Loss Soup
How to Lose 15-20 Pounds by Eating Soup
Rating: 4 / 4 ( 13286)
Weight Loss Soups
Rapid Weight Loss – Cabbage Soup Diet: Lose 10 Pounds Fast
Are you ready to hear about a quick fix diet that has been helping people lose up to 10 pounds in a week ?
Not only that, this diet has staying power. It's a secret people have been using for decades to lose weight fast.
It used to be called the Model's Diet.
The best part is:
It's cheap and super healthy.
In today's post, I'll list each step for losing weight with the Cabbage Soup Diet
If you’re reading this guide right now, chances are you need to lose weight and lose it fast.
If that’s the case, please tell me you’re not reading this while gorging on a bag of processed junk food. If you are eating something you have no business eating, please A) dispose of it and B) consider the back of your head smacked.
The Best Diet No One's Talking About
The Cabbage Soup Diet is a quick fix solution and considered by many to be a bit of a miracle that can help people lose up to 10 pounds in a single week.
When someone first mentioned The Cabbage Soup Diet to me, my first thought was that this was NOT something that I would ever want to try. However, I am not completely opposed to cabbage, and other diets haven't worked for me so eventually I did give this one a try. It is an amazing diet plan that really works.
After its popularity in the 1950s, the cabbage soup diet was forgotten for a time, but then revived in the early 1980s as the Dolly Parton Diet, Trans World Airlines (TWA) Stewardess Diet, and the Model’s Diet.
No doubt these modern monikers were given to the diet because it was known that models, actresses and flight attendants back in the day would have periodic weight check-ins and, if they were overweight, risked losing their jobs.
Here's the long and the short of it:
1. It’s dirt cheap
You'll spend a few dollars on inexpensive vegetables (cabbage being the vegetable most used) and throw them into a pot and making soup, so anyone on any kind of budget can give this diet a try. You could say it’s a souper cheap way to lose weight.
2. Nutrient Rich
Cabbage doesn’t get the love and respect it deserves as a superfood. It’s a very healthy vegetable that offers a ton of vitamin C (F *ck off scurvy) and a lot of fiber. You'll see in a minute why the high fiber content is so important.
Nutritional Value of Cabbage Soup Diet
Amount Per Pot of Soup
Dietary Fiber 27g; 108%
Vitamin A 80% Vitamin C 586% Calcium 47% Iron 34% Magnesium 35% Potassium 58% Protein 31% Copper 21%
3. Cabbage Fills You Up
Satiety is the feeling of fullness after a meal and the feeling that lasts between meals. Satiating foods increase the feeling of fullness make the feeling last longer.
Eating low calorie foods that make you feel full is one of the secrets naturally skinny people use to fight cravings and eat less overall.
It's not known exactly why high fiber foods, such as cabbage, increase satiety. Most scientists agree the slower process of digestion of these foods trick your body into feeling full longer.
Many studies have confirmed the importance of highly filling foods for appetite control. This one combined the results of multiple studies to conclude that by eating more fiber, people do eat few calories and they burn more fat. It seems that by adding 14 grams of fiber for 2 or more days people reduced calorie intake by 10%.
You can see in the Nutritional Value section above that you'll be adding almost double this amount of fiber per batch of soup.
The people in the study weren't actively trying to cut calories.
It happened naturally because they weren't as hungry.
4. Works as a Cleanse
Fiber not only helps you feel fuller, if you often have trouble “going” – you’ll probably have an easier time of it this week and find your intestinal tract cleared and cleansed. Win/win, no?
A study published in the Lancet showed a 69% increase in the weight of bowel movements on a cabbage diet.
This might be gross, but:
It kind of makes you wonder how long that extra stuff had been in there before the cabbage came along to carry it out.
Be careful because the diet is not something that you should continue for a long time. In fact it is more of a cleanse than a diet. But, I happen to have lost 15 lbs on the diet myself. so I am a believer.
5. It'a a Whole Food Detox
The cabbage soup diet is a form of intermittent fasting that gives your body a break from all of the usual processed garbage you shovel into it.
On this diet, you spend 3 days or more replacing crap with pure whole food--the kind that comes straight from the earth.
After a week of eating whole foods, your body feel refreshed and renewed as it has time to adapt to an absence of the many toxins it usually receives on a daily basis. Many people report a diminished cravings for sugar and refined carbs.
6. A Form of Intermittent Fasting
Starve a little to lose a lot.
You may have heard of the eat, fast, eat diet--or any other diet that relies on fasting as a means of calorie reduction.
The cabbage soup diet is a quick and dirty version of an intermittent fasting diet.
Fasting diets are scientifically proven to help you lose weight and improve health:
You can read more about it here. If you wanted to keep up the weight loss over a long period, do the Cabbage Soup Diet just one a day a week for as long as you like after you complete the initial phase.
7. It's Simple.
You can make a whole batch of the soup and store it in your refrigerator and just heat it up for later. This is so much more convenient than having to, say, juice fruits and veggies three times a day and clean the juicer each time.
Are You Up to the Task?
The Cabbage Soup Diet works for the person who just can’t seem to stick to any diet for any real length of time.
We’re a society of instant gratification hounds, and you KNOW you’re one of them. Most diets require you to be on them for four to six weeks before you see any real results.
Although the Cabbage Soup Diet is NOT intended as a long-term solution, what’s great is that by losing significant and noticeable weight in one week, you’re much more motivated to get into shape. It’s the perfect jumping off point for true long-term lifestyle changes.
This persons swears by it for long term with success:
I have been on the cabbage soup diet for a year (on and off). I've done it about six times and I've lost over thirty pounds. I do NOT like cabbage or most vegetables, for that matter. But, I bought a blender, blend it up REAL well and I drink it. I'm used to it, now.
The other person who this diet is perfect for:
The person who really doesn’t give a rat’s a** about making lifestyle changes, they just desperately need to lose 10 pounds in a week so they can fit into their bridesmaid dress and avoid armpit fat rolls.
The Original Cabbage Soup Recipe
The original 1950s Cabbage Soup recipe is basically the same one used today. The only real variant of today’s recipe is that the soup is cooked less. While the original called for cooking the soup for a full hour, an amount of time that would essentially destroy all of the nutrients in the cabbage and other veggies, the newer version suggests cooking the soup for only 20 to 30 minutes after being brought to a boil.
You can eat as much soup as you want at any time during the day.
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Large Can Diced Tomatoes
- 6 Stalks Celery
- 1 Large Onion - Chopped
- 1-2 Cubes of Bouillon (if desired)
- 1 head cabbage. A nice, big green one.
- 48 oz. of V-8 Juice (low sodium works best)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil (do not splurge here)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)
The first thing you’ll want to do is rinse all the veggie in the sink and they chop them into bite-size pieces.
Next, heat the olive oil in a pan and then add the onion to saute for a couple of minutes until the onions start to sweat. Add your celery and pepper and saute those with the onion for another 4 to 5 minutes.
Pour in your water and V-8 Juice, bouillon cube, hot sauce and tomatoes. Bring all of it to a boil and then reduce it to a simmer until your veggies are tender (about 15 minutes if you chopped your veggies into smaller pieces).
Next, core your cabbage, then shred it, add it to your pot, and cook your soup for another 10 minutes. Adding the cabbage at the end of your cooking time preserves some of its nutritional value and keeps your house from smelling like a port-o-potty.
7 Day Cabbage Diet Plan
Fruit Day: On your first day you can eat as much fruit as you’d like (except for bananas). When you don’t feel like any more fruit but you’re hungry, have your soup. Only fruit and soup today.
Vegetable Day: Today you can eat as many vegetables as you can handle, and they may be raw or steamed. You should really try and avoid peas, corn and beans but eat a lot of leafy greens. So today have as much soup and veggies as you want. And for dinner you may chow down on a big, baked potato with oil, or butter if that's your thing.
Day 1 and Day 2 combo: Today you’re basically going to eat all the fruit (still no bananas though) and vegetables and soup you want, but no potato at dinner.
You Can Finally Eat Bananas Day: Today’s a fun day because you can eat AS MANY BANANAS as you want today. You can also have as many glasses of skim milk as you’d like. And of course throughout the day eat as much soup as you want.
Get Your Protein And Tomatoes On: Today the diet calls for a piece of beef or chicken that is 10 to 20 ounces. You can substitute with anything high protein, as long as it's not too starchy or sugary. You can also up to six fresh tomatoes. Putting ketchup on your beef does not count for fresh tomatoes. It’s also very important today that you drink 6 to 8 glasses of water to eliminate the uric acid from your body. Your soup should be eaten as often as you’d like.
More Protein and Vegetables. (You may also feel free to substitute broiled fish for one of your protein days but not for both.) Eat as much protein (seriously have 3 porterhouse steak if you’d like), veggies and soup as you feel like today. Try to eat a good amount of leafy greens today but no baked potato!
Unsweetened fruit juices, vegetables, and brown rice: You know the drill, you can stuff your face with as much of these items, and of course your soup today.
So… You Say You’d Like to Make Some Substitutions
The key to being successful with the Cabbage Soup Diet is to really not stray from the recipe or weekly meal plan. Having said that, there are a few substitutions you may experiment with if you get bored or don’t like another particular food item.
A number of other high fiber vegetables may be added to the soup for a bit more flavor, as long as they are lower in calories. For instance, adding corn or carrots would not be a good substitution because they are both sugary vegetables with too many calories.
Veggies like zuchinni, spinach, and kale are acceptable substitutes. You may even add one can of black beans to the pot for a bit of added flavor, texture and protein. To change up the flavor, stick to herbs and seasonings like cayenne, curry powder or bay leaves.
Maximize Your Weight Loss
As we mentioned a bit earlier, cabbage is full of fiber, making you feel full on this diet. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), raw cabbage contains only 20 calories per 31/2 ounces. Heck, you’ll practically burn that off just from chewing.
The shorter cooking time helps to alleviate the bitterness of raw cabbage without destroying the dietary fiber and nutrients.
The bottom line is:
The more you can fill up on this nutritious and low-calorie soup, the more weight you will lose.
The DOs and DON’Ts of the Cabbage Soup Diet
DON’T ever feel hungry during your weeklong diet. The whole point is for you to eat AS MUCH soup and other allotted foods on the appropriate day. Anyone who says the Cabbage Soup Diet is a starvation diet is an idiot and you can tell them we said so. If you’re feeling hungry, you’re not following directions, and if you don’t follow directions you won’t get the results you want. Capiche?
DON’T add salt to your foods; not to your soup or veggies or baked potato or tomatoes or protein source, etc. This includes table salt, sea salt, salt substitutes and seasoned salt.
DON’T drink anything but water. And drink a ton of it . Remember the cleanse aspect of this diet, where your digestive tract gets cleared out? Without a lot of water, you'll just feel bloated and constipated. The extra waste won't make it's way out and you'll be worse off than when you started.
You’ll notice there are some versions of this diet online where you have the option of drinking cranberry juice and V-8 juice instead of water. All we’re saying is, if you want to lose 10 pounds instead of 9, you’ll want to shave off as many calories as you can, and water has zero calories.
DON’T get creative with the soup recipe unless you're using one of our alternatives. Recipes were made to be followed. You may think adding another cup of carrots won’t hurt but carrots contain a lot of sugar and therefor calories.
DO enjoy your coffee and tea during the weak so as to avoid any awful caffeine withdrawal headaches but ;
DON’T add your usual sugar and creamer. For a bonus pack of antioxidants, we recommend this matcha green tea. It's better than a vitamin. Black coffee and tea has very minimal calories so you’re alright there.
They take that very slow and steady approach to weight loss and most people want faster results.
The weight loss is so slow that most people get discouraged and quit before they ever see any true results.
The very reason why people love the Cabbage Soup Diet so much is because real weight loss, which you can see with your own eyes, happens in only 7 days. And that weight loss propels people into a more long-term solution that can bring about even greater weight loss and a radical positive shift in their overall health.
Maximize the Weight Loss
You're probably wondering:
Will this actually work?
Here are a few final tips on how you can make sure you are successful with this simple yet very effective diet:
· Follow the diet to the proverbial letter. Listen, just because you’ve had an English muffin every morning for breakfast for the past four years doesn’t mean you can have them this week.
You only need to commit to seven days – it’s really not that much to ask of yourself. If you feel it is, you will never lose weight.
· Don’t forget to drink a lot of water on this diet to help flush out your system and keep you full.
· Make sure to make plenty of soup so you can store it and easily heat it when you get hungry. That’s really key, having that soup always ready to go.
· Don’t go out that week to bars and restaurants with friends and family or you’re just asking for trouble. You can fool yourself into thinking you have enough willpower to NOT eat a whole bowl of chips and salsa by yourself, but if that were the case, you wouldn’t be trying to lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time in the first place. It’s only 1 week, suck it up.
You now have all of the information you could possibly need to lose up to 10 pounds in one week. Basically it’s up to you now. The only thing stopping your from sweet victory is yourself. How bad do you want this? How bad do you want to fit into those jeans or that bathing suit? How bad do you want to walk past a store window and LOVE the reflection you see? If you want it bad enough, you can have it, and the Cabbage Soup Diet can give it to you.
The Physicians Committee
Connect with Us
Make sustainable dietary changes. Sign up for the free 21 Day Vegan Kickstart. Participants receive daily messages for a step-by-step diet makeover, including recipes and nutrition webcasts. Go >
A Guide to Healthy Weight Loss: Three weeks on a low-fat vegan diet gets you on the road to your healthy weight goal
Of the many ways to lose weight, one stands out as by far the most healthful. When you build your meals from a generous array of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans—that is, healthy vegetarian choices—weight loss is remarkably easy. And along with it come major improvements in cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar, and many other aspects of health. The message is simple: Cut out the foods that are high in fat and devoid of fiber, and increase the foods that are low in fat and full of fiber. This low-fat, vegan diet approach is safe and easy—once you get the hang of it.
Getting started can seem a bit daunting. It is often hard to imagine doing anything—be it a diet, new exercise regimen, or any other new, healthy habit—forever. Try this: Follow the diet approach outlined here for just three weeks. That will give you enough time to adjust to new flavors and will also allow you to start significant weight loss and see other positive health changes. Participants in the Physicians Committee’s weight loss study who switched to a vegan diet reported improvements in digestion and regularity and many also said they just felt better overall.
The best way to do this approach is to follow the diet completely for three weeks. This means no sneaking ranch dressing onto your salad, adding egg whites to muffin batter, or having a bit of chicken with dinner. Only by doing the diet all the way will you be able to reap all the benefits and avoid lapses that can lead to weight gain.
So let’s get started! Choose the day when you would like to start the diet. Weigh yourself before you start and keep track of your weight during the three weeks. Also, keep a record of what you are eating. Keeping a food record and a journal of how you feel while you’re on the diet will help you monitor your progress. Below is a comprehensive guide to get you started, along with a three-week menu plan. Good luck!
Low-Fat Weight Loss Vegan Diet
Overall Principles: Choose foods from plant sources. Avoid all animal products and saturated fat, and keep vegetable oils to a bare minimum.
Focus on the“New Four Food Groups”
The New Four Food Groups—grains, legumes, vegetables, and fruit—can provide you with all the nutrients you need. To meet your nutrient needs, select 8 servings of grains, 3 servings of legumes, at least 4 servings of vegetables, and 3 servings of fruit daily. Its important to vary the foods you choose within the food groups, because not only is “variety the spice of life” it helps you to cover all your nutritional bases. The food guide chart below will provide you with about 1500 calories. At the end of this guide, you will find ways to adjust this level of calories to meet your own energy requirements.
(A serving equals about 80 kcal)
Check the servings off each day:
(A serving equals about 100 kcal)
Check the servings off each day:
(A serving equals 35-50 kcal)
Check the servings off each day:
(A serving equals 80 kcal)
Check the servings off each day:
If you’ve checked off all your boxes and you’re still hungry, add extra servings of foods from the vegetable or bean group to your plate. Is this too much food for you? Cut out the sweets first, then subtract a grain serving or two. However, you shouldn’t cut your calories too low. Most people should never go below 1200 calories per day.
Information on Condiments and Beverages
- For salad dressings and condiments, use the non-fat varieties, such as fat-free Italian dressing for salads and mustard for sandwiches.
- Coffee and tea are fine, but make sure to use non-fat, non-dairy creamers and sweeteners.
- Alcoholic beverages can be used occasionally. Avoid creamy beverages such as White Russians and Bailey’s Irish Cream.
- Sugar may be used occasionally.
- Nuts, seeds, avocadoes, olives, peanut butter, chocolate (non-dairy), and full-fat soy products such as tofu, tempeh, and soy cheese, come from plant foods, but are too high in fat to be conducive to weight loss. These foods may be used in modest amounts on rare occasions.
Foods to Avoid
- Meats, poultry, fish, eggs (both whites and yolks), and all dairy products (regular and non-fat), including milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, cream, sour cream, and butter.
- Added oils, such as margarine, salad dressings, mayonnaise, and cooking oils.
- Fried foods, such as potato chips, French fries, onion rings, tempura, and donuts.
A Word About …
Protein: Plant foods have plenty of protein. The recommended amount of protein in the diet is 10-12 percent of calories. Most vegetables, legumes, and grains contain this amount or more. Excellent protein sources include beans or lentils (especially in combination with rice or other grains) and meat analogues, such as veggie burgers.
Calcium: Plant-based sources of calcium are widely available. Good sources of calcium include broccoli, kale, collards, mustard greens, beans, figs, fortified orange juice, fortified cereal, and fortified, non-fat soy- or rice milks.
Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 is only found in animal products and fortified foods, such as many breakfast cereals and soymilks. To ensure an adequate intake on this diet, you should take a common multivitamin or a B12 supplement of 5 µg per day.
Now that you know what foods to eat and what nutrients to look out for, it’s time to figure out how to translate that into actual meals. Below is a listing of meal ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, and snacks.
Weight Loss Meal Suggestions
Often breakfast can be similar to the one you are accustomed to with a few simple modifications.
- Hot cereals: oatmeal, cream of wheat, creamy rice cereal, grits, or Irish oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins and/or applesauce (no milk)
- High-fiber cold cereals: wheat or oat bran cereals with non-fat soy or rice milk and berries, peaches, or bananas
- Melons, such as cantaloupe and honeydew, or any other fruit
- Whole grain toast topped with cinnamon or jam (no butter or margarine)
- Bagels (no cream cheese) topped with apple butter or hummus
- Oven-roasted “home fries” plain or smothered with roasted mushrooms, peppers, and onions
- Fat-free meat substitutes, such as Gimme LeanT fat-free “sausage”
- English baked beans or chickpeas
burrito filled with fat-free refried beans, lettuce, and tomato (no egg or cheese)
Whether you dine in or out at lunchtime, there are lots of healthy and delicious options to choose from. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Garden salad with lemon juice, fat-free dressing, or soy or teriyaki sauce
- Legume-based salads: three-bean, chickpea, lentil, or black bean and corn salads
- Grain-based salads: noodle, couscous, bulgur, or rice salads
- Vegetable-based soups: potato-leek, carrot-ginger, mixed vegetable, or mushroom-barley.
- Legume-based soups: black bean, vegetarian chili, spinach lentil, minestrone, or split pea.
- Instant or prepared soups (as long as they are low-fat and free of animal products).
- CLT: cucumber, lettuce, and tomato sandwich with Dijon mustard
- Hummus sandwich tucked into whole wheat pita with grated carrots, sprouts, and cucumbers
- Sandwich made with fat-free meat alternatives such as barbeque seitan or veggie pepperoni slices with your favorite sandwich veggies
- Black bean dip, peppers, tomatoes, and lettuce wrapped in a whole-wheat tortilla
- Italian eggplant sub: baked eggplant slices, pizza sauce, and mushrooms on a multi-grain sub roll
- Black bean and sweet potato burrito with corn and tomatoes
- Last night’s leftovers
- Fresh fruit, applesauce, or fruit cup packed in juice
- Cut-up vegetables
- Rice cakes, fat-free crackers, baked tortilla chips
Emphasize vegetables and grains in all your meals. The evening meal is a good place to try new items. You might start with a bean, rice or other grain, or potato dish and add a couple of vegetables.
- Grains: Use generous amounts of grains.
- brown rice
- boxed rice dishes (e.g., pilaf, curried rice, etc.)
- Potatoes: Enjoy them baked or mashed and topped with steamed vegetables, salsa, ketchup, Dijon mustard, black pepper, or black beans.
- Breads: Whole-grain is preferred. Avoid sweet breads that contain oil, eggs, or milk.
Try any vegetables you like.
- Greens (broccoli, spinach, kale, Swiss chard) topped with lemon
- Corn (note: corn is technically a grain, but works as a vegetable)
- Pinto beans, vegetarian refried beans, baked beans, black beans, garbanzos, kidney beans
- Pasta marinara: Choose commercial brands that are free of cheese and are low in fat.
- Beans and rice: Try black beans with salsa, vegetarian baked beans, or fat-free refried beans.
- Soft tacos: Prepare this dish with whole-wheat flour tortilla, beans, lettuce, tomato, and salsa.
- Chili: Vegetarian boxed versions are fine.
- Veggie lasagna: Made with low-fat tofu to replace the ricotta, layered with grilled veggies.
- Rice pilaf, Spanish rice, or packaged rice dinners: Try packaged rice dishes and omit butter.
- Steamed rice and stir-fried vegetables: This meal can be seasoned with soy sauce. Be sure to use a non-stick pan.
- Fat-free vegetarian burgers: Make your own lentil burgers or try soy-based commercial brands.
- Fajitas: Lightly sauté sliced bell peppers, onions, and eggplant in a non-stick pan, with fajita seasonings.
- Fresh fruit
- Fat-free chocolate or fruit sorbet
- Baked apples
- Bagels (plain or flavored; no cheese, butter, or margarine)
- Fruit, carrots, or celery sticks
- Vegetarian soup cups (split pea, lentil, etc.)
- Toast with jam (no butter or margarine)
- Baked tortilla chips with salsa or bean dip
TRYING NEW FOODS AND NEW TASTES:
- Explore new recipes, new books, new products.
- Fat-free meat substitutes can ease the transition.
- Be strict with yourself. This is easier than teasing yourself with small amounts of the foods you are trying to leave behind.
- Focus on the short term. Three weeks is a short time.
- Frozen vegetables are fine.
- Canned beans and vegetables are okay for convenience.
- If you have trouble finding recipes you like, explore our recipe database or try a healthy, vegan cookbook.
- Use a non-stick pan.
- “Sauté” vegetables in water or vegetable broth.
- Steam vegetables.
- When you can’t avoid oil, use a cooking spray instead of poured oils.
- Use non-fat, non-dairy coffee creamers.
- Read package labels to check grams of fat per serving. It is best to choose products that have less than 2 grams of fat per serving.
- Travel Tips:
- Request non-dairy vegetarian meals for flights
- All hotel restaurants have oatmeal, pasta with tomato sauce, potatoes, and vegetable plates, even if these items are not on the menu.
- Bring along instant soup cups, instant oatmeal, and small containers of soy- and rice milk.
- Dining Out: Look for ethnic restaurants, especially Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, and Italian, as they normally have many vegetarian dishes.
- Japanese: vegetable sushi
- Chinese: lots of rice with smaller amounts of vegetable dish; request oil-free and sauce on the side
- Mexican: bean burrito, hold the cheese, sour cream, and guacamole; Spanish rice. Ask the waiter to bring out warm corn tortillas to dip in the salsa and to take away the fried chips.
- Italian: pasta e fagioli (soup); pasta marinara. Ask that oil be kept at an absolute minimum.
- Thai: vegetarian selections with lots of rice; avoid coconut milk
- Indian: rice dishes or breads (beware of curries—very fatty)
- Middle Eastern: couscous; baba ganouj and hummus with lots of pita bread
- American: vegetable plate; salad bar; baked potato; baked beans; spaghetti; fruit plate. For salads, ask for no dressing, or try lemon or lime juice or soy or teriyaki sauce. Ask that fatty toppings, such as cheese, bacon, eggs, olives, and avocados, be left off.
AT WORK: Keep the following on hand.
- Instant soups
- 3-bean salad
- Rice cakes
- Fresh or dried fruit
- Bean dip with rice cakes or fat-free chips
- Stock up on healthful foods at home and at work to prevent hunger-induced indiscretions.
- Keep unhealthful foods out of the house. Donate non-perishable items that aren’t allowed in the diet to your local food pantry.
- If you follow a very low-fat menu, your tastes will gradually drift to prefer lower-fat foods.
- What to tell others:
- “I’m following a low-fat [or vegetarian] diet right now.”
- “I’m trying to increase my fruit and vegetable intake and cut out some fat.”
- If beans give you gas, use less beans and more grains and meat analogs.
See how to change your regular meals into low-fat vegan meals.
GM Diet – The Fastest Indian Vegetarian Diet to Lose Weight In 7 Days
GM diet is a secret diet plan to slim down your body and cut down your weight in just 7 days! This is the best vegetarian diet to lose weight.
Are you wondering why this diet is any different? When you have tried almost everything possible in the world and haven’t got the best results. This vegetarian diet to lose weight will help you lose weight very quickly.
The Vegetarian diet plan for weight loss is not just to lose weight, but it is also a maintenance method for a slim and proportionate body. Along with these, it will help you practice eating vegetables and fruits which will help to boost up the metabolic rate. Vegetarian diets and weight loss go hand it hand. It is the healthiest and the fastest way to shed pounds. This vegetarian diet program has become famous around the world. Every one is addicted to it, it actually works!
How Does the GM Diet Plan Work?
Most people are skeptical about the fruitfulness of this diet plan. Is it really all that effective? And can you really lose oodles of weight, just by sticking to a GM Diet Chart for one week? To answer that question, we must first understand how the GM Diet works.
- Detoxification- The GM diet is the best way to detoxify your body. For that one week, you keep away from eating unhealthy foods like fat, processed proteins, and unhealthy carbohydrate; at least, during the first few days of the week. This is an effective way of getting rid of the accumulated toxins in the body.
The fact that dieters have to drink up to 2 liters of water each day is a great way to help digestion and wash away the toxins. If you detoxify your body regularly, it will help in faster digestion and regular elimination of toxins in the form of urination and bowel movements, which lead to eventual weight loss.
- Fosters digestion- The best way to ensure fast digestion is by consuming high fiber foods like fruits and vegetables, which are low in Since the GM Diet is all about consuming a humongous amount of fruits and vegetables, it aids in digestion, as the foods are easily assimilated by the body.
Foods need an adequate amount of water to dissolve into nutrients. The digestion process is much easier with regular water intake. The water intake aids in the assimilation of nutrients and also utilizes the reserved energies for boosting for metabolism though this weight loss diet.
- Easing bowel movement- One of the chief reasons why people are overweight is that they are unable to get rid of the wastes trapped in the body. We eat unhealthy low- fiber foods which remain in our body, causing unmitigated harm.
But the GM weight loss diet ensures we eat a lot of high fiber foods and water to flush away the toxins in a regular manner. Bowel problems, for instance constipation, can thus be easily avoided by the help of The GM Diet.
GM Diet: The scientific explanation
Is this Vegetarian GM Diet backed by science? It’s a question most of us ask ourselves. The fiber filled diet ensures that you keep your hunger pangs at bay, for a longer period. Vegetables and fruits are chock-a-block with all kinds of essential vitamins and minerals, and meet the nutritional requirements of the body.
The diet is rich in complex carbohydrates like brown rice, which is high in essential nutrients like magnesium, potassium, calcium and fiber, while still having a paltry amount of fat.
In the GM diet, you can only have chicken, which is low in fat. What the right amount of protein does is that it increases the metabolic rate and burns fat.
Another thing that works for the diet is that you do not have to limit the amount of food you eat, just the kind of foods you eat. That works fine for most of us, as we do not have to feel deprived. It is only when we feel deprived that we go on a binging spree. Also, having frequent small meals and increasing water intake boosts metabolism and aids in fat loss.
It is not what you will call a science- based weight loss diet. But then again, very few science-based diets have enjoyed the unprecedented success that the GM Diet has.
Advantages Of GM Diet Plan:
This 7 day vegetarian diet plan was developed for the well being of General Motors Inc. employees. That is the reason it is called the GM Diet Plan. The aim of the program is to gain a healthy body. You can expect the following things by practicing this Diet Plan regime:
- Lose around 5 to 8 kilograms in 7 days
- Natural glow to skin
- Elimination of toxins will make you feel light and energetic
- Reduces the flab around the tummy and waist
All these in just 7 days! It is a miracle diet plan! At the beginning it may sounds a bit impossible to follow it, but just 7 days of dedication will bring you a healthy body. If you successfully complete these 7 days, you will definitely love the results. You would never want to break the diet regime, because you know the worth of it. Just to make sure that you are healthy enough to practice this diet, consult your doctor before you begin.
The GM Diet Vegetarian Plan:
This Diet Plan includes the intake of fruits, vegetables and starch. To prepare yourself for the vegetarian GM diet plan, you need to avoid alcohol for a few days. Especially in the time of the diet schedule and before it. This is a very important tip you need to follow. Alcohol increases the uric acid in the body, which leads to water retention. This blocks the natural detoxifying process from taking place.
It is also very essential that you drink up to 10 glasses of water everyday. As you will not be consuming the same amount of carbohydrates which you normally do. Water will be your main source of energy for the whole day. It will also boost your metabolism and remove the unwanted pounds from the body, naturally. In case you have already tried this diet plan, it is better to take a break for 2 to 3 days before you resume the diet again. This will help the body to adjust to the new method of nutritional intake, which will also relieve your body from any kind of anxiety. Here is what you have to do for the 7 days of your Diet Plan.
How to Start Day 1 of GM Diet:
Being the first day, it is always the hardest. Try to keep yourself away from all kinds of cravings as you will be consuming only fruits. You can consume all the fruits, excluding grapes, bananas, litchi and mangoes. You can have them in any quantity you like. It is suggested that you consume more watermelon, lime, oranges, apples, pomegranates, strawberries and melons. You can eat 20 times a day, but you should eat only fruits.
This is the way of preparing your body for the upcoming days. The only source of nutrition is from the fruits, they provide you will all that you need for your body. If you prefer to cut them up and eat, its great but make sure you aren’t adding anything else to it. Its just a ‘pure fruit for me’ day! If you can limit your fruit intake to only melons, your have a good chance of losing 3 pounds on your first day.
How to Start Day 2 of GM Diet:
Like the first day, the second day is ‘All veggies day’. You can eat nothing but vegetables and only vegetables. You can eat to your heart’s content, feel your stomach filled up with vegetables if you need to. Boiled or raw vegetables will do. You can even begin your day with a boiled potato and a tea spoon of butter. This is done in order to give the body enough energy and carbohydrates for the day. But after that only raw and boiled vegetables.
Only one potato this day is enough, don’t consume more than that. Adding a pinch of oregano or basil seasoning to make the vegetables more edible is perfect. Day 2 is a calorie free day with a good amount of fibre and nutrients. If you make it through day two, you are definitely dedicated!
How to Start Day 3 of GM Diet:
Day 3 is a combination of day 1 and 2. You can eat the mentioned fruits and vegetables. Eat any quantity and any amount you like and drink lots of water as directed. You need to avoid potatoes on day 3 as you are getting enough carbohydrates supply from the fruits. Your system is all set to burn the excess pounds. Your cravings may try to dominate, but think about the weight loss and the great results. You will feel light and happy by this time.
How to Start Day 4 of GM Diet:
Everything has its perfect time, if you believe in this saying then your right. Remember how you were told not to eat bananas on the first three days? Well on the 4th day of the vegetarian diet for losing weight, you have the liberty to eat up to 6 bananas for the whole day. You can drink up to 4 glasses of milk. You must have heard that bananas help in weight gain, however in this diet, they act as a source of potassium and sodium for the body. Since the intake of salt is reduced, bananas will do the job.
You can also have one cup of a highly diluted soup for a meal. The soup should consist of capsicum, onions, garlic and tomatoes. It is a tasty and healthy recipe which will help in the weight loss process. You can drink it only 1 time a day, it is only to refresh your taste buds from all the vegetable and fruit intake. Be careful to resist yourself. You are just 3 days away from a losing weight!
How to Start Day 5 of GM Diet:
Day 5 is a festival day for you, as you can have a tasty meal. You can munch on tomatoes, sprouts and cottage cheese, also known as paneer in India. You can also add soya chunks to you meal. Make a tasty soup with the mentioned ingredients and drink it. Make sure to increase your water intake on day 5.
You can eat up to 6 tomatoes and increase the water intake with 1/4 of the daily consumption. This is done in order to cleanse your body from uric acid. The tomatoes are for the fibre and digestion process. The water will purify your body from all kinds of toxins.
How to Start Day 6 of GM Diet:
Day 6 is a little different to day 5. You will be eating sprouts, cottage cheese and other vegetables but by excluding tomatoes. No tomatoes on day 6, avoid them. The tasty soup and lots of water should help you through your day. Vegetables will provide vitamins and fibre to your body. You will already notice change in your body by this time. Continue consuming a good amount of water everyday.
How to Start Day 7 of GM Diet:
The last and final day of the diet plan. This is the most important day. You will be feeling light on your toes and happy inside out. You can have fresh fruit juice, one cup of brown rice or half chapathi and other vegetables you would want to eat. You can complete your day with the consumption of water.
That is the whole diet plan for 7 days. If you can follow it strictly, no one can stop you from gaining a healthy and slimmer body. The below tips will help you to plan your 7 days effectively.
- No fruit juices allowed in the first 6 days. Try to increase water intake to 15 glasses by the fifth day
- Completely avoid tea coffee or alcohol. You can replace these with black tea, black coffee and lime water (all these are without sugar)
- A 45 minute work out on alternative days will help you get the best results.
- In case this weight loss program you are under taking is for a particular occasion, try it 2 months before hand with 2 to 3 days gap after every 7 days.
- Vegetables can be taken in salad form or eaten as a whole. You can dress it with squeezed lemon, herbs, garlic or even white or wine vinegar. Nothing else should be added to this.
- The soup recipe given can be consumed in unlimited quantities. It will be a pleasure to eat while you are following this diet regime. In case you do not like the ingredients, you can add other vegetables like cauliflower, corn, peas, asparagus, cabbage and others. try to stay away from all type of beans (kidney, lima, pinto etc) they are said to be high in calories.
Your complete vegetarian diet plan is ready for you. Now what? You lose 5 to 8 kilograms for that week and gain it back the next? This easy vegetarian diet plan to lose weight was not made to help you gain weight right? It is definitely hard to stick to this vigorous diet plan all your life. All you need to do after this diet plan is to maintain yourself. You don’t have to live on this food forever. So here are a few things you should be doing, to maintain a healthy and happy life.
- You need to be focused on improving your diet habits. All the nutrients should be in moderation.
- Exercise regularly to maintain your body.
- Have a balanced diet with a daily dose of minerals, fibre, vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, fat etc.
The GM diet has become the most popular diet which is practiced by Indians. This is mainly because of vegetarian attributes. Just 7 days of dedication and hard work will make you shed lots of weight. This weight loss diet is extremely effective and has satisfied many Indians.. Don’t wait any longer! Take up this 7 day challenge and say hello to a better lifestyle and a better body. It is a great regime for you to follow. Watch what you eat, control your food cravings and you will be a happier and slimmer person next week!
Alternate Vegetables that Can be Consumed on Days 2, 3, 6 and 7 of the 7 Days Diet Chart
- Potato (Only for day 2 Breakfast) – Starch present in cold boiled potato converts into resistant starch that promotes fat oxidation and reduces abdominal fat
- Cucumber – This is one of the best low-calorie and non-starchy vegetable for weight loss. ½ cup of sliced cucumber contains only 10 calories
- Lettuce – One of the healthiest leafy greens that is low in calories and high in vitamins and fibers
- Cabbage – High in vitamin C and antioxidants, cabbage helps to boost immune power
- Broccoli – Phytonutrient Sulforaphane found in broccoli fights off body fat. This low calorie vegetable is a great source of fiber and calcium
- Bell Pepper – Metabolism boosting compound dihydrocapsiate present in bell peppers promotes fat burning
- Onions – The flavonoid quercetin found in onions activate protein in the body, burns stored fat and prevents formation of new fat cells
- Spinach – This leafy green vegetable is loaded with protein that promotes lean muscle mass and promotes calorie burn
- Carrots – Carrots are loaded with beta-carotene and fiber and it can be enjoyed raw with salads
- Cauliflower – This cruciferous vegetable is loaded with fibers, folate and vitamin C
Sample Diet Chart for all 7 Days of the GM Diet with Timings:
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 1 medium sized apple, 1 glass of water
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – 1 bowl of cantaloupes, 1 glass of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon)- 2 big slices of watermelon, 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) – 1 orange, 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack (6.30 PM) – 1 pear, 1 glass of water
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – 1 guava, 1/2 grapefruit, 2 glasses of water
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 1 medium-sized boiled potato topped with 1 teaspoon of butter
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – 1 bowl of cabbage and lettuce mix, 1 glass of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon)- 1 cucumber, 1 onion, 1/2 carrot, 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) — 1 cup boiled broccoli, 1/2 cup sliced bell pepper, 2 glosses of water
- Evening Snack (6.30 PM) – 1 cup boiled cauliflower, 1 glass of water
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – Mixed boiled carrot, beet, broccoli and green beans, 2 glasses of water
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 1 bowl of cantaloupe or 1 apple, 2 glasses of water
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – 1 pear, 1 cup sliced pineapples, 2 glasses of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon) – 1 bowl of mixed cucumber, onions, carrots, lettuce, 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) – 1 orange or 1/2 grapefruit and 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack (6.30 PM) – 1 pear or 1 guava
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – 1 bowl of boiled broccoli, 1/2 boiled beet, 1/2 cup boiled raw papaya, 2 glasses of water
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 2 bananas, 1 glass of milk
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – Banana shake made with 1 banana and 1 glass f milk
- Lunch (12.00 Noon) – 1 bowl of vegetable soup made with cabbage, carrots and onions
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) – Banana shake made with 1 banana and 1 glass of milk
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – 2 bananas and 1 glass of milk
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water throughout the day
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 2 tomatoes, a bowl of boiled red kidney beans seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon, 2 glasses of water
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – a cup of tofu or curd, 2 glasses of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon) – a bowl of cooked Brown Rice, 2 tomatoes, palak paneer (Spinach and Paneer), 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.30 PM) -sprouts salad with onions, lemon juice, pepper and a pinch of salt, 2 glasses of water
- Dinner (8.00 PM) -Light Curry made from Soy Chunks/ Vegetable Soup, Cucumber and tomato salad made from 1 cucumber and 2 tomatoes, 2 glasses of water
If you eat non-vegetarian food then you can have the following foods:
- 2 egg whites for breakfast
- 3 to 4 ounces of boiled chicken or baked fish for lunch
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 1 bowl of mixed boiled or sauted vegetables, 2 glasses of water
- Mid-Morning Snack(10.30 AM) – 1/2 medium sized bowl of boiled kidney beans with 1 tomato diced seasoned with pinch of salt and other spices, 2 glasses of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon) – 1 cup of cooked brown rice 1 medium sized bowl of vegetable soup, 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) – 1 apple, 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack (6.30 PM) – 1 small bowl of boiled or sprouted lentils seasoned with pinch of salt and lemon juice, 1 glass of water
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – 1 bowl of mixed boiled vegetables, 1 glass of water
If you eat non-vegetarian food then you can have the following foods:
- 2 egg whites for breakfast
- 3 to 4 ounces of boiled chicken or baked fish for lunch
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 1 bowl of melon or cantaloupes, 1 glass of water
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – Handful of fresh or frozen berries or 1 cup carrot sticks, 1 glass of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon) – 1 cup of cooked brown rice, 1 bowl of lightly sauted vegetables, 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) – 1 apple or 1 pear, 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack (6.30 PM) – 1 Guava, 1 glass of water
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – 1 bowl of mixed vegetable soup, 2 glasses of water
If you eat non-vegetarian food then you can have the following foods:
- 2 egg whites for breakfast
- 3 to 4 ounces of boiled chicken or baked fish for lunch
Exercises to do while on The GM Diet Plan
Most people are scared to follow a strict exercise regime while following a weight loss diet. They are bothered by the fact, that they might not be strong enough to do the exercises. But if you are smart enough, you can follow an exercise regime which won’t be very taxing and will enhance your weight loss efforts.
- A thirty minutes’ walk
- Follow it up with twenty squats and a thirty -second
- Start with ten Surya namaskars.
- Do Virabhadrasana four times.
- Do Leg rise ten times.
- Rotate your waist, ten times clockwise, ten times anticlockwise.
- End it with stretching exercises
- Do standing front kicks, 10 times each side.
- Do trunk twisting thirty times.
- Do the classic Pilates move- the hundred, seated twists, rolling like a ball, single leg circles, criss-cross, and mermaid move. Do each of them at least ten times.
- Finish it with Surya Namaskars five times.
- Do not forget to stretch.
- Do arm rotations, leg rotations, waist rotations all ten times each side.
- Do quick feet 100 times.
- Do planks for thirty seconds, follow it up with twenty squats, repeat this step four times (plank followed by squats). This can act as a beginner level Tabata.
- Do a few stretching exercises.
Go for a brisk walk, or walk fast for two minutes and then walk slowly for another one minute. Do this for 40 minutes. This acts as interval training and is great for weight loss.
- Do warm ups
- Do 15 jump squats
- Do 10 knee push-ups.
- Do 10 lunges on each side.
- Do 15 V sit ups.
- Follow it up with stretching exercises.
- Do jump rope 50 times.
- Do squat 40 times.
- Do planks for 1 minute.
Repeat this procedure three times, or if you feel weak you can do it two times.
- Do Suryanamaskar 15 times.
- Do the bow pose 4 times.
- Do the cobra pose 4
- Do the dolphin plank 4 times.
- Do stretching exercises.
- Do pranayama- Kapalbhati, Anulom Vilom, and Bhramari, 10 circles each.
Few Alternate Food Recipes of GM Diet
The vegetable soup is the staple food o the GM diet chart for weight loss that can be consumed on all days of the diet except for day 1. There are a few other recipes such as baked fish and chicken that are included in the non-vegetarian version if the GM diet. Here, we have presented all the important recipes of the seven days diet chart in one place for your convenience.
1. Soup Recipe
Soups are undoubtedly the healthiest of all foods which is low in calories, oil free and enriched with the nutrition vegetables and spices. Check out this easy and simple mixed vegetable soup recipe that you can prepare on all days of the GM diet. It is one of the best diet soup recipes that can also be included in other weight loss diets.
- 2 carrots
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/4th cabbage
- 3 to 4 mushrooms
- 2 to 3 cauliflower florets
- 1 onion
- 4 green beans
- Enough water to submerge all vegetables/ Chicken stock
Wash peel and chop all the vegetables. Add all the vegetables into a pressure cooked and pour enough water so that all the vegetables are submerged, sprinkle some salt. If you are non-vegetarian then you can use chicken stock instead of water. Put on the lead and cook till 1 whistle. Switch off the stove and let the steam escape on its own. Now, open the lid, pout the soup in a bowl, sprinkle a pinch of black pepper and lemon juice on it and enjoy.
2. Sprouts Recipe
Lentils and beans are an amazing vegetarian source of protein and fiber and sprouts are the healthiest forms of enjoying them. The health benefits of bean sprouts need no new emphasis. In this recipe we have explained how to make sprouts and prepare a tasty and healthy sprout salad.
Take the amount of beans or lentils you want to sprout and keep it in a bowl, wash it thoroughly 3 to 4 times and transfer it to a dry bowl. Pour some water over the beans/lentils and let it soak overnight, discard the excess water the next morning and transfer the swelled beans/lentils into a clean muslin cloth. Tie the corners of the cloth together ant the center and keep it aside for 10 hours. After 10 hours open the muslin cloth and you will notice the sprouts coming out. So, now that we know the exact method of sprouting let us check out how to make sprouts salad.
- 1 cup of sprouts of your choice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- Few mint and coriander leaves chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon juice
Put all the ingredients except salt, mint and coriander leaves and lemon juice in a glass ball and mix thoroughly, sprinkle the salt and coriander and mint leave from top; drizzle the lemon juice and mix it once again.
3. Palak Paneer Recipe
You can include spinach in your soup as well as palak paneer in order to enjoy a low-calorie healthy and tasty food with the brown rice. But in order to include it in the GM diet routine, it is necessary to make the palak paneer oil free.
- Spinach 1 to 2 cups
- Paneer or Cottage cheese – 200 grams cubed
- Onions – 1 medium
- Garlic – 2 cloves crushed
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Shahjeera 1/4th teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric – 1/4th teaspoon
Clean the spinach and blanch it in boiling water for 3 minutes and then put it in a bowl full of ice-cold water for 5 minutes. Drain the leaves and keep aside. In a dry pan add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sauté the onions, ginger and garlic. Pour the onion mixture and spinach leaves in a grinder and grind them to from a fine paste. Now, in a non-stick pan toss the paneer cubes till they turn slightly brown. Again brush some oil on the non-stick pan, add the onion and spinach mixture, dry masala powders, shahjeera, salt and simmer for a few minutes, add the sautéed paneer cubes, simmer for few minutes and enjoy hot with brown rice.
4. Boiled Chicken Recipe
What better way to load up on high quality proteins on days 5, 6 and 7 of the diet than with delicious and light boiled chicken? This is one of the simplest boiled chicken recipes for all those non-vegetarian weight watchers who have craved the tasted of meat for the first four days of the 7 Days GM diet.
- 3 to 4 lb. chicken
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon of whole peppercorn
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoon of salt
Wash the chicken toughly with water and place it in a large pot with lid. Add enough water so that it completely covers the chicken; add all the other ingredients into the water, put on the lead and start boiling. Set the lid at an angle so that the steam can escape from the pot. Reduce the heat and continue to boil for 1 to 1 hour 30 minutes. Add more water if needed. Remove the chicken form the pot once the meat starts coming apart from the bones. Enjoy the boiled chicken on days 5, 6 and 7 of the diet, strain and stock the broth in the fridge which can be used to prepare the mixed vegetable soup.
5. Baked Fish Recipe
Fish is another amazing source of high quality proteins, healthy fats and omega 3 fatty acids that is a good potion for those who don’t like eating chicken on all the last 3 days of the diet. This is one of the easiest recipes for baked fish that required very few ingredients and can be prepared in a jiffy.
- 3 to 4 fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of onion paste
- 1/4th teaspoon of black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon of chopped coriander
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F or 165 degrees C. In a small bowl add the onion paste, black pepper powder, lemon juice and chopped coriander. Dip all the filets in this mixture and arrange on a baking tray coated with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes in the oven or till the fish flakes easily.
GM Diet Soup Recipes
The GM Diet is not an easy diet to follow, especially since you have to do away with carbohydrates to a large extent. So to keep yourself satiated, you can rustle up a few delicious soup dishes.
1. Delicious Vegetable Soup
This fiber-rich vegetable soup has minimal calories, yet is a nourishing recipe which will stave off those hunger pangs. This is one soup, which you can have even after you are done with the GM Diet plan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or another cooking oil such as canola oil or sunflower oil)
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups mixed chopped vegetables of your choice (try cauliflower, zucchini, or green beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/ ½ tomato blanched and whipped in a blender.
Makes six servings
- Heat the oil in a large soup or stock pot. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, the carrots, and the celery. Heat, and then keep on stirring for 3-4 minutes, until the onions are glassy. Add the rest of the vegetables and heat for just another minute or two.
- Add salt, garlic powder, thyme, and oregano, stir well to coat the vegetables well.
- Add the bay leaf, water or vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Stir to make sure they dissolve.
- Add all the tomatoes, stir well and allow your vegetable soup to simmer until all the vegetables are cooked for about 8-12 minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving and serve your homemade vegetable soup hot!
2. Rich Tomato Basil Soup
This cold tomato soup recipe is low-calorie, really low-fat, vegetarian and perfect for the vegetarian GM Diet. It really packs a nutrient punch, with plenty of Vitamin C and Vitamin A. So, when you are bored of your regular soups, make sure you try this nutritious soup.
- 2 pounds of tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or a blender and blend until almost smooth, or when you get the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a large saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- This quick and easy tomato soup can be served hot or cold, and makes 4 servings.
3. Carrot Soup
This is another light and nourishing soup, full of vitamins and minerals. It’s just the perfect recipe to drive away your diet boredom, as it is spicy and can invigorate your taste buds in the best way possible. Carrots are also rich in beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the liver. Vitamin A is great for maintaining your vision. Bell peppers are full of beta-carotene, which lavishes you with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. The capsaicin in bell peppers also has a multitude of health benefits.
- 2 large red bell peppers plus slices for garnishing
- 2 Tbsp. of olive oil
- ½ tsp. of curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, sliced (½ lb.)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place bell peppers on baking sheet, and roast for 1 hour, or until skin is blackened. Turn the peppers occasionally with tongs. Transfer them to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap for 10 minutes to steam. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, rub off the blackened peel, and remove the seeds.
- Heat the oil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add the curry powder along with the bay leaf, and stir for 10 seconds. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and salt. Cover it, and cook 10 minutes, or until the onions are glassy.
- Add 4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered, for 25 minutes.
- Transfer the carrot mixture to a blender; add the bell peppers and blend until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Garnish the servings with bell pepper slices.
- You must try the GM Diet for weight loss, as it lasts only for for seven days, and yet helps you lose a mammoth number of kilos! This diet plan is also a great way of starting a weight loss regime. So what are you waiting for? Weight- loss is just sniffing distance away!
A Few Points to Consider Before you Start with the GM Diet Plan
The GM diet Plan has been met with unprecedented success. The fact that you can lose weight within the stipulated period of a week has struck a chord with most weight watchers. That you can lose weight by just following a diet for seven days is unthinkable for most people who have had a tough time shedding the extra kilos. But there are questions galore which bamboozle most people, especially regarding the kind of foods they are supposed to eat.
The Foods that are a Strict No-No
Since this diet is a rather radical one, it’s difficult for many to follow as it is tough for them to give up on their favorite foods. The most difficult part being the day 1 and 2 diet chart, when you have to stick to just fruits and vegetables respectively. We already know exactly what to eat though, or do we? It is best to clarify the foods which you have to strike off at least for that one week.
- No Sugar and salt in moderation- Refined stuff is a strict no-no, and when it comes to sugar, it is best if you stick to natural sweeteners, like raw honey or stevia. Steer clear of refined table salt and choose rock salt or the Himalayan pink salt. Common salt has fallen out of favor recently as it results in a depletion of important minerals from your body at the cellular level.
- Tea and coffee in moderation- Herbal teas are recommended,but too much of coffee is not something that we would advise. Also, stay away from alcohol.
- Substitute of milk- There are many people who are not too fond of milk, they can easily substitute milk with buttermilk and yogurt.
- No wheat or chapattis allowed in the diet- This diet is largely a gluten-free diet,so staying away from wheat and other processed forms of wheat should be the order of the diet!
- Stay away from processed food- As much as you can,stay away from processed food which is full of chemical additives. That includes fruit juice, soup and the so-called much-touted healthy stuff. Cooking home-cooked should be the norm. To get results, you have to cook healthy to eat healthily.
- A tight rein on dry fruits and nuts- Since calories are severely restricted in this diet, you will do yourself a favor if you stay away from dry Even though they are full of nutrition,their calorific value is also high. Plus, delicious as they are, you cannot just stick to a handful.
- Stay away from the wrong kind of fat- Fats have unduly got a lot of flak in the recent past. But recently,the importance of good fats has gained prominence. Eat good fats like coconut oil, MCT oil, ghee and so on. Fats help in transporting fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K through the bloodstream to where they are needed. They also raise good HDL cholesterol, lower bad LDL cholesterol, and protect against the buildup of plaque in your arteries. What’s more? They help prevent belly fat, according to research. Include good fats and definitely eliminate bad fats like vegetable oils, soybean oil and so on.
- Stick to a healthy lifestyle once you are done with the diet- Once the seven days are over, you need to maintain a quality lifestyle, by eating healthy and exercising regularly. Also, if you need to shed some more weight, give it a break for one week or two and then you can start this diet all over again.
- Allergic to bananas- Some people reach day 4 without much ado, but as soon as they reach day 4 of the diet plan, they find it difficult to eat just banana and milk. Bananas are very nutritious. They are full of fiber, potassium, and sodium, but if you want to skip bananas you can also have papayas. Apricots, figs, nectarines and dates can be a feeble substitute for bananas, but remember what we said about dry fruits, so stick to just eight a day.
Once you get results, you will be encouraged to try this diet a few more times. So if you want to shed those stubborn kilos, this diet is tailor-made for you. It might be a fast-paced diet and a little difficult to follow considering the radical changes you have to make to your diet, but it sure will help you reach your weight-loss goals within a very short time!
Alternate Fruits that can be consumed on Day 1, 2 and 3 of the General Motors 7 Days Diet Chart
- Watermelon – Just 30 calories per 100 grams serving and high in water content, this is the best fruit for promoting weight loss
- Cantaloupes – Cantaloupes are another fruit from the melon family that is low in calories, nutritionally dense and filling
- Guava – This is an amazing low glycemic index (GI) fruit that even diabetics can enjoy
- Apple – Only 50 calories are present in one medium sized apple along with zero fat and zero sodium
- Pear – This fruit is loaded with fiber that keeps you satiated for prolonged period of time
- Oranges – Citrus fruits are extremely beneficial for promoting fat burn. 100 grams of oranges contains only 47 calories and the sweet taste of the fruit helps in satisfying the sweet craving
- Grapefruit – This is a powerful fat fighter that promotes weight loss. There are just 37 calories in half a grapefruit. It also boosts up the metabolic rate of the body
- Berries – Berries are the highest in antioxidants and are especially useful fr fighting obesity and cholesterol. Blueberries are especially effective I fighting fat cells
- Kiwi – kiwi smoothie recipes are extremely popular for weight loss thanks to the presence of both soluble and insoluble fibers in this fruit. It keeps you satiated for long time without adding extra calories
- Pomegranates – This bright red fruit helps in lowering appetite and flushes out harmful toxins from the body
Frequently Asked Questions in the Indian GM Weight Loss Diet:
Commonly Asked Questions about the GM Diet
There must still be umpteen questions brimming in your mind about the GM Diet. We will try to answer all of them right here.
1. Can I have tea or coffee while following the diet?
You can have green tea or any other herbal tea, but avoid coffee for these seven days. Also, make sure you avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners, only raw organic honey or stevia is okay, but in moderation.
2. Can pregnant or lactating ladies follow the GM Diet Plan?
No, you cannot, this is a restrictive diet and not fit for pregnant and lactating mothers.
Alcohol is an absolute no-no in this diet plan. So skip it.
4. Is the diet plan fit for diabetics?
No, the diet plan is not fit for diabetics, who need a particular nutritional plan to meet their dietary requirements. However, before starting any diet, it is best to consult your doctor.
5. I do not like milk, can I take something else?
You can try yogurt and buttermilk, but of course, it should be without sugar.
6. Can I have dry fruits on the first day?
No, since dry fruits are pretty dense in calories, it is difficult to stop at one handful. So abstain from having dry fruits for these seven days.
7. Is the GM Diet fit for children?
No, the GM Diet is not fit for children under the age of 18, as they have particular dietary requirements.
8. Who can follow the GM Diet?
It is for adults who want to lose weight fast and also need to detoxify their bodies. Also, if you suffer from any particular health condition, you need to consult your doctor before starting on this diet.
9. How much weight can you lose with the GM Diet?
You can lose about 17 pounds in seven days if you stay true to the diet. But weight loss depends on a number of factors like genes, age, current weight, activity levels, metabolism levels, cooking method, medical history and so on.
10. How many times can you follow the diet in a month?
You can follow the diet twice a month, not more than that.
11. What cooking oil should be used during the GM Diet plan?
Since deep frying is out of the question, you can boil, blanch, sauté or grill your food. For drizzling, you can use olive oil, cold-pressed virgin coconut oil, rice bran oil, but all in moderation.
12. Can we sprinkle salt on our foods?
Yes, you can sprinkle salt over your foods, but instead of refined salt, use rock salt, sea salt or the Himalayan pink salt for additional benefits.
13. I do not like brown rice! What can I have as a substitute?
If you are averse to brown rice, try quinoa, millets, black rice, red rice or white rice as a substitute.
14. I want to know a substitute for bananas?
Instead of a banana, you can have dates, nectarines, apricots and figs.
15. When can I have the wonder soup?
You can have wonder soup anytime you feel like. It is a nutritious way to keep your hunger pangs away.
16. Can I eat out while following the GM diet plan?
We would request you not to do so, but if you still have to, then stick with salads and fruits and also ask the restaurant to avoid using salad dressings on your foods. Condiments like mayonnaise must be strictly avoided.
17. Can I do heavy duty exercises at the gym?
It is all up to you, if you feel you can handle it, then go ahead. However, we would advise not to indulge in strenuous exercises during these seven days.
Yes, yoga is an excellent exercise regime to do during the GM Diet plan.
19. What should I eat after the diet plan?
You should eat healthy balanced meals, eat every three hours, and drink at least 10-12 glasses of water. Also, try and control your carb intake, you can have unprocessed carbs that are full of nutrients and can keep you satiated for long hours. Reduce your food intake after 6 pm and finish your dinner three hours before you hit the snooze button.
20. Can I have fruit juices?
No, usually packaged fruit juices are full of sugar, avoid them. We would also advise eating the whole fruit instead of juicing it at home, in case you’re thinking about it.
21. Can I go for my early morning run?
Again, you can, but since this is a restricted diet, you might not feel strong enough to go for long runs. Try a brisk walk instead, and see how things go from there.
22. I love spicy food, so can I add spices to my food while undergoing the GM Diet plan?
Spices are okay to consume as they have fat burning properties, especially spices like turmeric, pepper, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and so on.
23. Can I have Chapattis during my diet?
No, this is largely a gluten-free diet, so avoid gluten during those seven days.
24. What can I have when I am hungry?
Try the wonder soup, it will drive away your hunger pangs and nourish your body as well.
25. Can I have avocado on day 1 of this diet?
No, you cannot have avocados as they are full of fat. You can have them right after this diet, but not while you are following this program.
Note: After following the Indian GM Diet Plan, we suggest you to follow the 1200 calorie Indian Diet Plan to control your weight and eating habits. There are high chances that your weight might increase if you keep eating junk and processed foods.
Disclaimer: The Fit Indian is a health and fitness blog that provides information and support about healthy and reasonable diet programs, and the information are solely intended for educational support. All the information provided in this article is for educational purposes only, and any decision on the reader’s part to use this information is their personal choice. We are not a medical organization authorized to provide medical advice or diagnosis. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician before deciding to opt for any weight loss program of any kind and also if you feel any discomfort while following a diet. Short term and crash diets give only temporary results for quick weight loss which is soon gained back once the diet is over. We recommend a healthy combination of daily exercise and balanced diets like the 2000 calorie diet plan for healthy weight loss and its maintenance.
07.08.2017 4:21 pm Updated by Admin
Fat Burning Soups For Weight Loss. A simple 3-step plan to lose weight fast, along with numerous effective weight loss tips. If only losing weight was as easy as gaining it, right? While there are plenty of advertised ways to shed some pounds, there are only a handful of methods that actually work.
|The message text*:|